Friday, January 8, 2010
NBC is awful at this whole scheduling thing.
Yesterday TMZ (which stands for "Thirty Mile Zone." You're welcome.) reported Jay Leno was moving back to the Tonight Show and Conan would probably go back to Late Night. Obviously I was upset. Ever since the new line up (Conan O'Brien, Jimmy Fallon) I've been an avid watcher of NBC's late night. I've always really liked late night talk shows for some reason and I've really been liking the new line-up. But NBC is the worst and gave Jay Leno his own show at ten because How could that fail? oops. It did. Now NBC wants higher ratings so there's been talk that Jay Leno is moving to 11:30 and Conan has been yet again screwed. (It sounds like Jimmy Fallon is staying no matter what! yeah!) Supposedly, If Conan stays on NBC Leno will have 11:30 - 12:00, Conan will have 12:00 - 1:00 and Fallon will have 1:00 - 2:00. But if Conan decides to leave NBC (which would require NBC to pay him $40 million) then Jay Leno will take over the tonight show, again. If Conan does leave he may move to a new network, probably FOX, according to multiple blogs. There are so many situations that would be better than the stupid pushing The Tonight Show back a half-an-hour.
1. Jay Leno takes back The Tonight Show and Conan goes to FOX or ABC (or TBS, very funny)
2. Jay Leno's show is completely cancelled, NBC gets 5 new shows and The Tonight Show gets higher ratings. (best option!!)
3. Jay Leno's show is moved to 7:00, NBC gets 5 new shows and The Tonight Show gets higher ratings. (good compromise!)
4. Jay Leno's show is moved to 2 or 3 and he becomes a day time talk show host and the Tonight Show gets higher ratings (fairly humiliating!)
5. Carson Daly leaves Last Call and Jay Leno takes over. Can you imagine that? "So have guys heard about this band Phoenix? There name's a city in Arizona! hehe!" I would watch that.
I don't think Conan O'Brien will stay with NBC if this is all true. I'd really like to see him move networks. That would be a great "fuck you" to NBC. They've treated him and David Letterman like shit and I'd love to see NBC fail. (Although I'd much rather see them succeed and fire Jay Leno.)