Sunday, September 20, 2009

"I'm a Lebowski, you're a Lebowski..."


I watched The Big Lebowski for the millionth time, or so, last night/this morning. You know what? It keeps getting better. It's like a fine wine. I know what you're thinking: "Well [Thom], that's just like... your opinion, man." You're joking... but... perhaps you're right. Anyway, since I'm still basking in the afterglow of The Dude, Walter, and Donnie, here's my ten favorite quotes from this iconic American classic (which is no easy task).

10. "It's a league game, Smokey." - Walter, after pulling a gun on an opponent in a league game, over an alleged rule violation.

9. "You might fool the fucks at the league office, but you don't fool Jesus! This is Bush League psych-out stuff -- laughable, man! HA!" - The Jesus, upon finding Walter bowling on Shabbos.

8. "Smokey, this is not 'nam. This is bowling. There are rules here." - Walter, once again related to Smokey's supposed step over the line.

7. "He looks like a fucking loser." - Woo, shortly after micturating upon The Dude's rug.

6. "Jackie Treehorn treats objects... like women, man." - A semi-coherent Dude to the Malibu Chief of Police.

5. "I... we... the 'royal we,' you know... the editorial?" - The Dude, after a brief slip of the tongue to the other Jeffrey Lebowski.

4. "Walter, this isn't a guy who built the railroads here!" - The Dude, after being chastised by Walter for using the term "Chinaman."

3. "His name's Lebowski? That's your name, Dude!" - Theodore Donald Kerabatsos, out of his element, interrupting The Dude's story.

2. "Let's take the hill!" - Walter, while rolling out of the car to beat Bunny's whereabouts out of the Nihilists.

1. "I just want to understand this, sir. Every time a rug is... micturated upon in this fair city, I have to compensate the owner?" - The Big Lebowski/Other Jeffrey Lebowski, denying a handout to a bum (in this case, The Dude).


This was hard, and I'm sure I'll look at the list later and remember a great one I forgot. Eh, fuck it man. Can't be worried about that shit. You know, strikes and gutters -- ups and downs.

No comments: