Saturday, October 3, 2009

Whip it is a good movie

First things first: I don't like Drew Barrymore. You have to understand, this was her "directorial debut," which apparently has been a long time coming. And let me tell you, I could have waited longer. It's not that it was bad, in fact it was quite good, it just didn't deserve all the hype Drew Barrymore created. I quite liked this movie. I wouldn't go as far to say everything about it was great, because that isn't true. About half of it was great and the other half was mediocre. But the great parts made up for the mediocre parts. The movie centers around Ellen Page, who, I'm sorry to say, played an only slight differentiation of Juno. She goes to a Roller Derby game or race or whatever they call it and tries out and makes the team. The plot is pretty simple and formulaic, but it works. Ellen Page's character also meets a boy and starts dating him, and their relationship is supposed to be cute and romantic. I didn't like it. It was mostly Ellen Page's male counter-part I didn't like. I don't know if it was the character or the actor, but something didn't sit well with me. That was a mediocre part. The great part that made up for it was Jimmy Fallon! I know! What? Jimmy Fallon was good in something that wasn't his Late Night show?! It's true! If you remember though, he was in Almost Famous and was pretty good. His character was the commentator of the Roller Derby games and was one of the funniest characters in the entire movie. Speaking of bad SNL players who were in this movie, Kristin Wiig! and she was good! She played Ellen Page's team mate and mentor. Her mannerisms and speech pattern was identical to those of hers on SNL in many parts of the movie, but her character was very good. Another one of my favorite characters was the coach of the team, Razor. The entire time I saw him I was convinced he was one of the Wilson brothers. He sounded a lot like Owen Wilson, but his nose looked too normal. So, I figured it was Luke Wilson, but this man's face was too unlike Luke Wilson's for him to be Luke Wilson. Fianlly the credits told me the actor was Andrew Wilson, the under-appreciated, usually forgotten third Wilson brother! His character was great and he was the best Wilson brother to play the part. He hasn't been in anything since Idiocracy, which came out in 2006 and is much better than you might think. Watch it. Oh, by the way, Maeby played Ellen Page's best friend. So you should definitely watch this movie. On a logical scale, I would give this movie an 8/10.

No comments: