Monday, July 6, 2009

I don't dislike Eminem.


Eminem recently released his latest video for his song "Beautiful." The video is set in Detroit and is incredibly depressing. He is set in front of the demolition of Tigers Stadium (R.I.P.) for part of the video. The song is really good in comparison to "We Made You." That's kind of how Eminem is though. His songs are either god-awful or really emotional and good. I'm not a huge fan of rap, but I recognize Eminem as an above average rapper when he does songs like "Beautiful" and "Lose Yourself." He's had an absolutely terrible life and when he uses that as inspiration he makes good songs, but he also has become incredibly famous and makes cliche rap songs. Part of me feels like I am required to like Eminem because he is from Michigan, but Kid Rock is also from Michigan and I don't like him. Even if he had made good music, none of it would have mattered because of this line: "And we were trying different things, we were smoking funny things" He rhymes ''things'' with "things!" That's inexcusable! Also, a lot of musicians are from Michigan. Insane Clown Posse is from Michigan, so the "That's where I'm from!'' excuse doesn't really work. The difference between Eminem and other musicians is the fact that his life in Michigan greatly influences his music. I'm also a strong believer in the fact that every genre has good music and Eminem is a good rapper. Even if you don't like rap, you should realize Eminem is a good rapper.

Here's the video for Beautiful:

The song isn't great. There are some elements that are really bad, like the weird singing at the beginning. I'm also not a fan of when he repeats "I'll be one tough act to follow." But there are some parts that remind me a lot of the masterpiece that is "Lose Yourself" That's right, I said it, it's a good song.

Now, Eminem also makes crap like this (sorry, I'm unable to embed):
What I don't get is why he parodies Rain Man in the music video. He mocks basically everything in current pop culture, and rain man. I get that it's a good movie, but it doesn't make sense in this video. That movie came out 21 years ago!

1 comment:

Kozamae said...

Oh for sure you can't like something just because it comes from the same place - if that was true we'd all be racist and wouldn't have good music form other people and worse - we would have to like the rapist next door D; Ew. I love Slim Shady though (except his song Superman) I mean sticks and stones may break my bones but Shady's lyrics coulda done that too if they felt like it. Words have meanings, yes, but it's so rare that they have their own lives too. Really, he's epic.